nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Yellow Transparent/Lodi apple

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Yellow Transparent/Lodi apple
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:39:08 -0500

there is signifigant differences between Lodi and Transparent - -
fruit-wise, lodi is longer in shape and cracks worse, both on the tree and
after harvest - the more or less flattened fruit of the transparent ripen
till the skin becomes transparent, hence the name - lodi does not - - with
low vigor, old, biennial trees, it may be difficult to see much
difference - - saucing the fruit, transparent will cook quickly to a very
smooth consistancy, while lodi will be lumpy, even with considerable
stirring - -
most (all?) early apples require multible pickings, I can't imagine
unmanaged trees not ending up with a lot of waste - -