nafex - [NAFEX] Cornus mas sources

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cornus mas sources
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:04:05 -0400

IMHO, C. mas deserves to be grown more widely as a dependable fruiter
despite weather. Early spring bloomer, and altogether carefree edible
landscaping plant. Fruit too large for the birds that eat our blueberries,
and untouched by squirrels (so far).

As Robert noted, Edible Landscaping has C. mas, 'Golden Glory'. They used
to feature 'Elegant' but due to foliar disease at their location (Blue
Ridge, S. VA) are discontinuing it. Email them (www.eat-it.com for contact)
and see if they still have some 'Elegant' available. They did in August.

'Golden Glory' also available from Forest Farm.

Hidden Springs Nursery offers a variety of C. mas, from Turkish seedlings to
3 named cultivars. Hector has traveled collecting this one. To see their
catalog, go to catalogs.google.com, and type in 'Hidden Springs'. C. mas on
page 7. They are selecting for disease resistance in the SE.

Don't forget the "Black plum" offered by John Gordon, noted in previous
message.

Burnt Ridge Nursery in WA also offers 'Elegant' as well as C. mas seedlings,
though Elegant sold out now. I am growing their seedlings (my only bearing
plants) and though not large, the fruit sweetens up well 2 days after
picking, and gives enough for jam.

For those of you in or near Corvallis, OR, 2 years ago there were 4 trees on
the N. side of the Ag. Life Sci. building with good fruit, for seedling
sources, and they do trim these so scionwood could probably be arranged.

If none of these sources appeal to you, and you'd like to set out multiple
seedlings to explore for superior plants, let me know offline:
ramoyer@king.edu

Richard Moyer
East Tenn, Zone 6

  • [NAFEX] Cornus mas sources, Moyer, Richard, 09/19/2003