nafex - [NAFEX] pests eating apples

  • From: derry&bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pests eating apples
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:45:04 -0700

Since apples continue to ripen after picking, it's my feeling that if bugs
are eating your apples, you've left them too long on the tree.

There are two varieties that challenge this assumption: Hudson's Golden Gem
and Karmijn de Sonnaville. The crows started pecking at these varieties in
early August and I can't think that they were far along enough to be picked.

According to Crawford's Directory of Apple Cultivars, AB should be picked
'sometime in October' (in Britain). Maybe you should try picking AB in early
September, just to beat the wasps.

If the background colour has started changing from green to light green,
they could be picked and stored in the fridge. There's no point growing
apples for the wasps.

Derry

Bill Chase & Derry Walsh
Aldergrove, B.C., Canada