nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Arkansas Black - hornets?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Arkansas Black - hornets?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:54:33 -0500

At 09:54 AM 9/16/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Just out of curiosity... I assume the hornets have a number of apple choices in your orchard. Do
the hornets prefer the Arkansa Black or attack all apples equally? If there is a "preference" in
apples, do we know what causes it?

Tom,
It's a young orchard, with the oldest trees being 7-8 yrs, with others running the gamut from 3-6, so fruit production has not yet been very heavy - and the last couple of years have been near total busts for apple production due to late frosts. Asian pears, and a couple of older European types(Clapp's & Keiffer) have cropped heavily for several years now, and yes, the hornets do eat some of the pears - especially Keiffer, but rarely seem to bother the Asians - but the Asians & Clapp's do ripen earlier in the season.
ArkBlack and Old-Fashion Limbertwig are the only apple cultivars that set any fruit this year that hasn't already ripened, and I haven't even looked at the ABs this season, but in year past, the hornets have pretty effectivelly eviscerated all the AB fruits by the end of Sept.

Lucky