nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fw: Pears

  • From: DocKW@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fw: Pears
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:29:26 EDT

My 2 cents on the Flemish Beauty. I have a nice tree which looks
healthy...my pears all tend to calcium deficiency symptoms which is a
constant battle
here in SW Connecticut zone 5. If I spray carefully for fungus I get nice
pears (if the tree rats leave any) but if I forget and they start to get
black
spots , I'm done for the season as they will progress on to splitting and w/
the
tendency to cork spots due to calcium probs they will be ruined. Not a good
thing when you expect to eat something!!!! The Gorham drops its leaves if
the
spray is stopped prematurely and this year the rain has not stopped!!!,,,,and
then the fruit gets spots and splits and is ruined.
The Magness and Warren pears have the calcium problem, but do not drop leaves
or fruit under the same conditions....and this year they looked to be ok w/
the calcium (used calcium nitrate 2 years).... and the tree rats took all but
one....waiting on ripening.:)
I need another hobby....
no chestnuts this year either and plums have the worst black knot I've ever
had...will need to nearly chop down the trees to renovate.
Karl Olson
(waiting for the hurricaine to pick my apples for me)