nafex - Re: [NAFEX] beechnuts again

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art@complum.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] beechnuts again
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:10:57 -0500

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 13:37, Lon J. Rombough wrote:
> Interesting. I've been to Scotland and have seen such hedges. I
> wondered why they didn't drop their leaves, but I wasn't there long
> enough to observe them to find out. They look odd because the trunks
> can get fairly large, which seems very out-of-place in a hedge - you
> don't expect a hedge to have more than stems an inch or so in
> diameter.

Mulberry makes a nice hedge. I have one along our gravel road for dust
control. The trunks rarely get over 4-6 inch diameter. I prune them to
the ground about every 10-15 years. They do develop a knotted top that
can be a foot or so in diameter from all the pruning calluses. It was
there before I was born, so I never thought of it as unusual.
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa, USA