nafex - Re: [NAFEX] PawPaw Seed Germination

  • From: Victor Patterson <vsp@flash.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] PawPaw Seed Germination
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 07:11:51 -0500

Isabella:
My pawpaw experience is with seeds collected from native (east
Texas) trees. In the hot and humid south (Houston, Texas area) our
problem is too much heat. I have never gotten germination when the
temperatures approach 90 F, also they will not germinate if the seeds
are in black plastic pots placed in full sun for more than 3 hours. I
have best results if the seeds are planted in the early spring and the
pots are keep in a cool shed with no direct sunlight. You are correct in
keeping the seeds moist before and after planting.

Victor