nafex - Re: [NAFEX] PawPaw Seed Germination

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] PawPaw Seed Germination
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 08:05:55 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] PawPaw Seed Germination
Pawpaw seed usually doesn't germinate until it gets quite warm, such as 80 F or above, and the soil has to be quite warm.  Your seed may not have gotten warm enough.  Try using a heat mat under the pot/flat.  You might even need to make a "sweat box" by putting the pots inside a wooden box with a piece of glass over the top of the box.    Once they germinate, they will grow at lower temps.  Your handling of the seed was fine, otherwise, as long as the seed didn't get dry.  Pawpaw seeds can die when they are dried.