nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Note on an invasive plant

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Note on an invasive plant
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:27:55 -0700

Lucky Pittman wrote:

At 03:23 AM 8/30/2003 -0500, you wrote:

I am of the more organic persuasion, and the idea of Round-Up does indeed make me cringe, or worse. If I ever did concider using round-up, the idea of injecting it directly into the problem plant is the best one I have heard.

While I'm not strictly organic, I don't use chemical herbicides willy-nilly. But, faced with an Ailanthus - or, in my case, thorny honeylocust, black locust(in undesirable locations), sweetgum(in any location), or the ubiquitous hackberry, I have no reservations about using Brush-B-Gon or Tordon as a stump treatment to ensure those dastardly things don't re-sprout. Compared to those two, Roundup is pretty innocuous, though I still wonder how effective it is, in comparison, when used as a stump treatment.
I even have a little pint can of Agent Orange that I'm holding back in reserve for any Ailanthus or Liquidambar that raise their ugly heads around here.

Lucky

There must be 2 different Liquidambers as it is no problem around here.
It makes a nice front lawn tree.
Very colorful in the fall, like a maple.
In fact the leaves look very like maple leaves.
Sam