nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Note on an invasive plant

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Note on an invasive plant
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:34:28 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Note on an invasive plant
Stooling involves cutting the tree off short, but not to the ground.  The stump puts up sprouts and soil or sawdust is mounded around the base of them to encourage them to root.  In the winter, when they are dormant, the rooted sprouts are cut off.

And the experts can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that stooling beds are made by planting a tree, say an apple, and letting it get established, then cutting the tree off near the ground. This forces the roots to send up new trees some distance from the initial trunk. This is a standard mans of propagating rootstocks, as I understand it.