nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nitrogen fixing trees intercropped with fruit and nut trees

  • From: Hector Black <hblack@twlakes.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nitrogen fixing trees intercropped with fruit and nut trees
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:35:49 -0500

Hi,
    I'm glad to hear that someone else is exploring this area.  We have used both clover and elaeagnus as N fixers in our orchard and the results are quite promising.  We used autumn olive primarily and it worked very well with nut trees.  There were problems with fruit trees because they branch lower and the autumn olive tended to tangle in the lower branches and make harvesting difficult.  Autumn olive is a berry in its own right that needs more research.  We sent samples to the USDA in Beltsville and they were very impressed by the nutritional value of the fruit.  Some had 17 times the licopene of tomatoes and were loaded with anti-oxidants.  I presented a paper at NNGA (Northern nut growers) last summer ('02) which will appear in the next issue of the annual.  Goes into more detail.  USDA is exploring pruning methods so the berries can be harvested mechanically.  My experience and observation is that the N is chiefly found in the nodules that form on the roots of the plant, although the foliage is also high in N.  A friend had the foliage tested for animal feed and found it was way up there with alfalfa.  It is invasive, but regular mowing takes care of seedlings.  It's very fragrant in bloom and a great bee plant also.  Leftover berries in fall feed the birds.
    A few cautions - don't get clones that are thorny.  Choose the improved cultivars with larger and better fruit.  If you have pasture that is never mowed you might watch to see that they don't spread over there, but I suspect that animals would eat them down if they did.
    Clover has done very well and in our climate (zone 6) we found the Dutch white clover to be the best.  That stays and spreads with mowing, while the others don't appreciate mowing.  PS  Welcome to have a loot at the orchard whenever you're back in the US.
    Hector Black