nafex - [NAFEX] RE: 'Red wine molecule may extend life'

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: 'Red wine molecule may extend life'
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:55:06 -0400

Thanks for posting this info, Miekal:
'Study shows red wine molecule may extend life'
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/08/25/longlife.molecule.reut/index.html

A more accurate title might be:
'Study shows red grape molecule may extend life'; or 'Study shows dark fruit
molecule may extend life'
The molecule in question, resveratrol, is present in Vaccinium (blueberries,
cranberries), muscadines, grapes, mulberries and other. See
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/qtr/q400/hn400.htm#blueberries
Granted we can't eat all these fresh, and a processed product such as red
wine delivers resveratrol conveniently. I think it safe to assume grape
juice, jam, jelly, and processed products from these other fruits deliver
resveratrol also.

Reseratrol is naturally present in the dark grape skins, and in many other
dark fruits.
Eat more fruit!

Richard Moyer
East Tenn, Zone 6