nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Selective Cuttings

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Selective Cuttings
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:23:03 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Selective Cuttings
I haven't heard anything on this.  I know people who could tell me, if you need the information that badly.  Vinifera has a much higher tolerance to alkaline and salty soils than more American grapes already.
Just back from the Garden Writers Association meeting where The Grape Grower won "Best Talent in Writing" for 2003.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com

Lon Rombough:

What ever happened to the U California initiative to find V. vinifera
with resistance to selenium, sodium, chlorine ions, etc?

The plan was to poison grape shoots with high levels of dissolved salts
and excise and clone islands of living tissue.  The thinking was that
these islands may have resisted poisoning due to some ion transport
scheme.  Ultimately, they hoped to produce rootstocks and Cabernet that
could grow in land so salty that only cotton and alfalfa could currently
survive.