nafex - Re: [NAFEX] A Source For 'Zanthoxylum piperitum'?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] A Source For 'Zanthoxylum piperitum'?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:57:14 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] A Source For 'Zanthoxylum piperitum'?
I have some plants, but not for sale.  The easiest way to grow them is to go to an Asian grocery and get some Szechuan pepper and plant them.  I've done it that way.  You'll get thorny and thornless seedlings.  Discard the thorny ones.  Also, if you want seeds from them, they are dioecious, so you need to grow enough plants to insure at least one male and one female.  The leaves have a pungent lemon-like smell, but the flavor is surprisinging mild when you cook with the leaves.
   Note that there is a ban on importing Zanthozylum now because it is an alternate carrier of a serious citrus disease.

-Lon Rombough