nafex - Re: [NAFEX] A Source For 'Zanthoxylum piperitum'?

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] A Source For 'Zanthoxylum piperitum'?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:33:32 -0500

Mr. Grimes:

Check www.forestfarm.com

They list Zanthoxylum simulans, the true Sichuan (Szechuan) pepper.
Zanthoxylem piperitum is the Japanese pepper, also known as sansho.

True Sichuan pepper (the actual spice) is banned from import because it
purportedly can carry citrus canker. Zanthoxylum piperitum is usually sold
(incorrectly) as Sichuan pepper powder. I am unaware of anyone selling
plants of Zanthoxylum piperitum although I think I recall Forest Farm as
listing it in years past. Perhaps they still have it. Of course, given the
confusion in the genus, I'm sure that the true identity of the Asian species
in North American cultivation is all mixed up.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3