nafex - Re: [NAFEX] garden disappointments

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] garden disappointments
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:00:17 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] garden disappointments
Here in Oregon we had at least some rain on 55 days during April and May.  The result was as close to a total blank on most tree fruits as I've ever seen here.  Believe me, I've taken good notice of the ones that DID manage to set.  On the other hand, because so few trees had crop, I was able to do some overdue pruning and cleaning out.  It's too dry for the trees to re-sprout much from the summer pruning, so things won't be too tender when the fall comes.  Thus, at least everything LOOKS a lot better.   And there are enough trees in bearing that we will still have enough fruit for most uses - a lucky side effect of having way more than you need to start with.  And my grapes ALWAYS come through with plenty.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com