nafex - [NAFEX] Maine blackberries

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Maine blackberries
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:11:09 +0000

The blackberry trial I am participating in with the Maine variety from John Bunker - is showing real promise. This is their second year and we just finished picking the last berries. They did well after a dry winter (low of -35F) that killed my chester thornless to the roots, killed all illini hardy vines with some roots living, and killed all but one triple crown plant. To me as significant as the survival of the canes is the very early fruit maturity. The years I did get a few chester or illini we lost most to september frosts. I wouldn't rave about the flavor compared to a boysen berry, but in a climate where no commercial blackberry belongs - they were good . Certainly it shows great potential as a breeding stock. I have tried pruning them to 2' this year. John, have you thought of crossing with a hardy raspberry? Do they have a name or number yet? Have any other folk reported in on them? thanks, Del

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3