nafex - Re: [NAFEX] plums vs. tomatoes

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plums vs. tomatoes
  • Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:50:58 +0000

thanks Lon,
tomato ringspot nipovirus
I went through about 30 websites, nothing indicated any danger from being in soil previously planted by any solanacea.
Rather, theory has it that it is spread by the dagger nematode. Many types of fruit trees and various distantly related plants are susceptable. Most sites listed it as generally lethal to the plant, another said a high percentage of fruit trees in one state were infected...go figure. So I'll quit worrying about my plum nursery, and hope for the best. Del

Last week, while web searching on stone fruits, I came across an article detailing a delayed graft failure organism - that is particular to stone fruit. The pathogen was somehow related to tomatoes. I seem to have failed to bookmark the site.
My problem is that, after 5 years of failed plum grafts I at last have a couple of nice rows of new plum graft succeses - which are planted in nursery rows in last years tomato patch!
Am I in danger of losing these grafts in a couple years because of this contamination?
Anyone familiar with this problem?
Or know the name of the organism? thanks, del

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3