nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Black Currant Learning/Training (Long)

  • From: "Mike Levine" <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Black Currant Learning/Training (Long)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:38:21 -0400

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 3:37 PM
Subject: [NAFEX] Black Currant Learning/Training (Long)

I have thought for a long time that I would like to write a book - a field manual on what I have learned over the years of growing and working with black currants. I have formulated, in my mind, how I would do this and some of the subjects to cover and the format that I would like to use for each section. I have never taken the time or opportunity to start this project. Recently I was visited by a couple who have a great deal of interest in black currants and they have asked if they could visit and "apprentice" the process of growing black currants. After some consideration I have decided that this may be the best alternative to a book. I would be able to pass on to others some of the things that I have learned about black currants. I have come to the conclusion that I am not getting any younger and that none of my kids are really interested in following on with my planting.

I will formulate a "training plan" so to speak, with an outline of the subject matter, which I will E-mail to anyone interested in the project and will try to answer any questions and explain how I deal with the various problems and entities associated with the growing and use of black currants. The project will follow along sequentially during the ongoing planting and management of the planting as I see it in central Pennsylvania. This may require some change in your local area, based on your weather and zone.

Anyone who would like to visit my planting is welcome and I will try to give some "hands on" time and instruction. I would like this to be an inter-active training with your input, questions and suggestions as we go along. I expect that it will take about a year - with information exchange occurring about every two months.

For those interested, I would like your name, location, Zone and your E-mail address. I would like to receive an E-mail from you giving the reasons you are interested in this project, your background (or lack of) with black currants and your future plans regarding black currants. I would appreciate your comments and suggestions for subject matter for this project. I have learned much from many people, including those from NAFEX and TIRA and see this as an opportunity to pass on and/or give back something to others.

You may provide a telephone number and/or an address if you may require a direct personal discussion relative to specific aspects of the project. These will be kept completely private of course.

Northumberland BerryWorks
707 Front Street
Northumberland, PA 17857
(570) 473-9910