nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Leftover wood

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Leftover wood
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:21:31 -0400

I have put hormone power on the end and shove into the ground to the last bud. I hold off till later in the month. after leaf fall I sometime put a very light cover of leaves don't want enough to make mold. The best place if you have a wood chip pile that has turned color that is a better place. I have a lot of starts I will be giving away in the wood chip pile from last fall and late fall. lot of ornamental.

Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.
I have scion wood left over from spring grafting I never got
to use as intended. (My year hasn't gone much as planned.)
Last I checked it was still in good condition. (This is
mainly apple wood.) Should I:

Do a normal whip&tongue graft. My concern here is if it takes,
the new growth would be killed by frosts (avg. killing frost:
October 15th)

Use buds from it to do T or Chip budding. My question here is
how successful is budding using spring scion wood (plus I
wouldn't be forcing growth 'until next spring). Is there a
difference in success in this between T or chip budding (I'm
leaning toward the ease of T-budding.

Throw the stuff away and try to replace the stuff next spring?

Thanks for your replies.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40 5' N 75 51'W