nafex - [NAFEX] arbor grapes

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: growwine@kawartha.com, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] arbor grapes
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:12:05 -0400

Hello All,

I would like to know if anyone who grows grapes on arbors has similar
experience to this;

I was under my arbor, pulling down yellowing leaves from the underside of the
arbor canopy, that I assumed had died due to lack of sunlight. Then I noticed
that many of the yellow leaves were near clusters of grapes.

This got me wondering if the bunch of grapes released a hormone/gas/chemical
that influenced the cessation of nearby leaves. Not a strong reaction, but
one
significant enough to affect leaves receiving little sunlight.

This would make sense from a plant/hormonal standpoint. A plant wanting it's
seeds to reach maturity wanting more sunlight on the fruit, and discouraging
leaves nearby. Just a wild stab of an idea on my part.

I do not think you would find this on a trellis system, as arbors have much
more dense, stationary foliage.

Your observations?

Later,
Tom