nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: Topworking

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: Topworking
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 06:54:41 -0500

Kevin and others who graft onto Prunus americana,

I have a number of Japanese-American hybrid plums on P. americana, and naturally have suckers popping up everywhere, often in beds 20-30 feet or more away from the trees.  They seem to pull up fairly easily--at least the 'sucker' pulls away from the root below, but then usually resprouts from the same spot.  I'll often get half a dozen or more from a spot at once.  So far, other than being a never-ending chore, I've been able to chalk this up to garden maintenance, although occasionally one will escape notice amongst the blueberries until it's a bit too woody to pull easily and must be pruned out.

Is any one aware of a chemical solution to the problem?  Perhaps there is an herbicide that would "burn" the sucker and slow down or prevent the regeneration?  I also have to prune suckers on a couple of apple trees on M7.  Is there a solution for both Prunus and Malus?  Interestingly enough, I have a Ribston Pippin, purportedly on M7, that never suckers.  Perhaps it's because the Ribston is planted a bit deeper.  Maybe if I mounded dirt up on the other M7's that would help.  I haven't done so thus far because I figured that once the suckers have started they'll keep doing so as if they were in a stooling bed.  When I cut them off now they are often rooted.  Too bad I don't want anything else on M7!  Mounding soil wouldn't help on the plums anyway, and their wide- ranging suckers are far more annoying.  (I can see the future of the garden without my care.  In 5 years it'd be a gigantic plum thicket.)

Sincerely,

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI   USDA zone 3

P.S.  The Ribston Pippin is bearing dozens of apples after about 15 years in the ground.  Although I got it from Southmeadow, it appears correctly labeled---at least the fruit is shaped right.  It has borne full bloom the past two or three years but not set fruit before.  I'm not sure if the problem was pollination, or as I theorized, that the ovary was damaged in bud from winter cold.  If I'm lucky, the tree is now mature and I'll get fruit henceforth.