nafex - [NAFEX] Administrative overhead

  • From: "Greg Miller" <gsmiller@cet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Administrative overhead
  • Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 16:05:48 -0800

I've figured out another way in which viruses can be damaging. I've
spent another few hours (which I could have WASTED in the orchard
instead) dealing with this KLEZ issue.

Sometimes even running an anti-virus isn't enough, as it can't
account for taking steps to protect other users, the reactions to
those attempts, or the general alarm generated by the distribution of
a virus. My computer didn't get infected, but I think an infection
and associated cleanup would have been less time-consuming in the
long run compared to what I've done as the list administrator.

Just what is it that people want me to do? I don't have the power to
do the single most effective thing, which is make all of the users of
this list use UPDATED anti-viral software at all times, so I am left
with imperfect, easily-defeated solutions.

Maybe in the laissez-faire spirit of the list I should just let the
attachments (infected or otherwise) rain down where they may?

GREG MILLER