nafex - [NAFEX] cherries in Vermont

  • From: "Kieran and Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cherries in Vermont
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:51:11 -0500

Hey Richard,
How about trying Duke cherries? Does anyone know whether they are
hardier than pure sweet cherries? I got a sucker from a tree that appeared
to be a Duke, sweet cherry leaves, but it had fruit spurs like a sour
cherry. The tree was huge, too big for me to reach any fruit. I never saw
a lot of fruit on it anyway, probably from lack of a pollinator, but maybe I
just wasn't there at the right time. My sucker is now about 12 ft tall and
bloomed for the first time this year, about a week after my black sweet
cherries of some local variety. (Mind you, the frost got the lot and the
peaches too.) Of course, this makes me wonder if MY tree is going to get
pollinated, maybe I need to plant my spare Evans sucker near it. Donna

  • [NAFEX] cherries in Vermont, Kieran and Donna, 07/31/2003