nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How to ID/use Lodi apples?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How to ID/use Lodi apples?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:29:48 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] How to ID/use Lodi apples?
Like so many fruits, your apple (if it's Lodi) would probably be different in another climate.  I've had Lodi here in Oregon that, while not really inspiring, was tart and pleasant enough for early season applesauce, at least.  Since it was selected in Geneva, NY, your area may be too warm for it to develop much flavor.  The description you gave tallies pretty well with what's in the Register of New Fruit and Nut Varieties.

I've picked a whole bunch of apples from a tree in town, it's a biennial
bearer, with very heavy crops on the alternate years, the tree is very
healthy with almost no CAR spots in spite of a rainy summer, and few codling
moths.
I think that a tree that does as well as this one does might have been
widely planted in spite of the fact that the apples are completely tasteless
and pretty much worthless for anything you might want an apple for.
    I've heard that Lodi is such a sorry apple that codling moths hardly
touch it, and is a biennial bearer, so I suspect it's a Lodi
tree.  The fruit are on the flattish side, and some are a bit lumpy.  It
never gets any red blush or stripes, and barely gets yellowish.  No acid,
low sugar, not juicy, fairly crisp till it's pretty ripe, and very slightly
bitter.  Holds it's shape when cooked, makes a dry pie, and when dried has
neither flavor nor sweetness to recommend it.  What do you all think?  I
would guess the tree is 50-60 years, the house is 50 years old, and other
trees of its size on that block were part of an orchard planted 60 yrs ago.
The tree has not been sprayed, and a RD in the same yard has some CAR.
   The description in my Fruit, Berry, and Nut Inventory seems to fit
except that it's not EXTRA early.  I just got the end of the crop July 25,
which probably peaked about July 15, a YT or Early Harvest tree I know was
done by then and a
Red June tree was nearly finished.  It is certainly crisper and keeps better
than any of the extra early apples.
   I've made pies out of them, which my husband seems to find edible.  But
I used most of them to start some cider, as I figure I can find some decent
apples or even some quinces to give it some flavor later.  Anyone got any
ideas on anything such tasteless apples are good for?   Donna