nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Sweet cherries in cold climates (NAFEX)

  • From: rmelrose@bluemoo.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Sweet cherries in cold climates (NAFEX)
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:52:01 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for your comments Rodney, let me be more specific.

Last winter was the first we have had -35F for quite some years and I am
pretty convinced that the damage I am seeing was caused by the deep-winter
cold, even though there was plenty of snow cover. In particular I have not
seen it in the preceding 6 years. There was no late hard frost this
year. In fact I was hoping for a bumper crop but I suspect the long dark,
cool and damp Spring caused pollination problems. Orchard (Mason) bees do
not seem to prosper here.

Late Spring frost in the past have produced widespread bud kill but not the
sort of systemic damage I am seeing.

My general cultivation regime has been to clear the cherries in May and
June. Usually I give them some compost (perhaps unwisely given the links
you provided I used some 10-10-10 this year near the drip line) and water
as needed up until about now. Then I let the grass grow back, which it does
with vigour in these parts. As you suggest, it would probably be better to
clear and feed in Fall but I generally do not have the time. I aim for
around 9 inches to 1 foot of new growth (this is based on reading somewhere
that much below this leads to lack of flower bud development), as early as
possible. I have not seen much trouble with hardening off, in cherries that
is; apples of various sorts are a different story. We typically get a mild
(bean killing) frost around Sept 10, then often no frost until the end of
the month; hard frost comes in October with snow showers later in that
month and ground freeze some time in November. Winter did come early last
year, in the sense that the cold was deep already in November, but I still
do not think this was a problem with the cherries. Of course, I could be
wrong! I never feed newly planted trees of any sort.

I had not thought of a folar feed, but then there weren't many leaves to feed!

Rootstocks are a concern of course. I have been trying (probably not
seriously enough since it seems to be hard) to root cuttings of the tart
cherries especially and try some on their own roots. The `Morello' for
instance was supposed to be on North Star as rootstock. Meteor seems
promising and I will try a few bud grafts onto that and Bali in the next
couple of weeks. I wonder if it is possible to top work a Pin or Black
(prunus serotina) cherry? I believe cleft grafts are unlikely to take in
prunus, but I will give it a try. I have records coming out the Kazoo.

Kristen:- I know it is SUPPOSED to be hardy, but this is the second that
has died on me, without getting established.

I was working my way around to Black and White Gold, maybe next year.

`Porcini' are mushrooms, boletus edulis and, to me, just about one of the
finest wild things there are to eat. (If your Italian is as bad as mine,
this means `little pig', cep in French). Finding them placed in the trees
is a bit disconcerting! Mind you the birds are not discriminating, they
put poisonous amanitas in the trees too.

Richard