nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Sweet cherries in cold climates (NAFEX)

  • From: rmelrose@bluemoo.net
  • To: Reveland@collinscom.net, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Sweet cherries in cold climates (NAFEX)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:47:04 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, thanks Rodney, I did eventually look at that URL. The `tunnels' seem a
big
deal and I am into a lower-tech approach. The winter here does a number on
any structure and these do not look as though they would survive. I can
imagine them collapsed under a couple of feet of heavy wet snow with the
trees inside.

For some reason I have resisted the latex-paint treatment. I have instead
used a nylon wrap. This is only intended, by me I mean, to counter sunscald
(which can be a problem here). It also helps show the borers and I imagine
paint does at least as good a job so maybe I should switch. Does it really
have an effect in extending dormancy? How much do you paint if you are
covering the buds? I have only really bothered with the trunk up to maybe
the second set of branches (with the wrap I mean) -- are you painting the
whole tree? This could be a bit of a job with a full-sized sweet cherry. Do
you spray paint, perhaps we need pictures, a video even .... .

My experience, which is not really extensive, is that a mulch would have to
be thick to have any real effect on dormancy. I have put 8 inches or so of
wood chips, in Fall, around a couple of apricots in the hope of delaying their
flowering. Maybe it made a couple of days difference, but I was not really
convinced.

Why am I trying to grow sweet cherries (and quinces and medlars and several
other unlikely things) in Vermont? Well, that is where I am and that is
what I want! I do have a twelve foot `Yellow Glass' to show for my efforts
(and I did have a twelve foot Morello too) and in most years it gives a
good show in May. No cherries, but who knows when conditions will turn out
just right and there are pollinators close by now. Where I am, on a glacial
scree, blueberries are almost as daft a thing to try since the soil is very
alkaline. Still, with some effort, they grow and usually produce
abundantly. I am more disappointed at a second poor year for apples, even
worse than last year.

It has been said that I am a little stubborn; it is possible.

--
Richard Melrose