nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Yellow Jackets

  • From: nottke <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Yellow Jackets
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:46:25 -0400

Like Jason, I would like a way to reduce yellow jacket predation on fruit
short of poisoning the neighborhood. Toward the end of peach season here a
week ago yellow jackets (along with lesser number of other wasps) were
hollowing out fruit at a rapid rate. With no control I expect more serious
problems during rasperry, pear, and apple seasons.
In past years we have had families of skunks living close by and they did a
good job of digging up and dining on the yellow jacket nests, but we
haven't seen any sign of skunks since last winter.

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC 27040
Hardiness Zone 7A