nafex - Re: [NAFEX] I'm Stumped - Please Help to Identify A Tree

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] I'm Stumped - Please Help to Identify A Tree
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:55:49 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] I'm Stumped - Please Help to Identify A Tree
English walnut (Juglans regia).  Leaves are pungent, and it's possible they could be taken for citrus scented, if you are really nose-dead.  I'm amazed that there are so few English walnuts left in the NW that this one is a novelty.  There was a time they were common street trees in Oregon and Washington.  If you are a NAFEX member, look up Don Balser in the Interest Groups.  He lives near Mt. Vernon and has a bigger collection of Juglans than the National Clonal Germplasm Repository.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com