nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grape propagating

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grape propagating
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:11:09 -0500

> where does one get a good cheap bottom heater?

I use the heating vent in my kitchen floor to root grape cuttings. After
they have callused--on top of the refrigerator, I stick them in 1-gallon
cans full of potting mix. The cans go on the floor in front of a glass
sliding door next to a heating vent. The position gives them bottom heat
and plenty of light.

A cheap way to provide bottom heat is to buy a heating cable from Park Seed
or other seed catalogs. They run about $9. Place it on a tray and place
the pots on top. I like to line the tray with aluminum foil to trap more
heat. You can go fancier and get heating mats in the same catalogs. Some
have thermostats.
Doreen Howard