nafex - Re: [NAFEX] trees in tubs

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] trees in tubs
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:08:33 -0500

John Bunker asked:

> Some friends are doing a community service project planting trees and
> vegetables in large (roughly 9 ft x 9 ft) cement planters on a roof top in
> Boston. (Zone 5-6) They asked me what to plant for fruiting trees.
These
> planters are definitely stationary, so the trees will have to stay outside
> all winter.

I have two miniature pear trees (Le Nain Vert and Muscat) in 10-gallon
containers, and they were in a sheltered spot next to the garage all winter.
We had temperatures down to -10F in January. This was a mild winter for
Wisconsin. The trick is to keep the roots hydrated. I watered them
thoroughly every time the top inch of soil unfroze.
Doreen Howard