nafex - RE: [NAFEX] old apple

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] old apple
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:59:37 -0700

Baked Apple Berry is also known as Cloudberry. I have seen cloudberry jam
for sale in a local scandanavian grocery. I did a search on google this
morning and found this interesting tidbit on cloudberry:
"Cloudberry seeds yield oil which is not only rich in Essential Fatty Acids,
phytosterols and antioxidants, but also carries the aroma of fresh
cloudberry."
from the webpage at http://www.aromtech.com/ii/en/default.html . Just like
salmon, cloudberry seeds have omega-3 fatty acids, except they taste like a
baked apple pie!

>From this same webpage... "Gamma-tocopherol is a superior radical scavenger
compared with alpha-tocopherol, especially for nitrogen oxide radical
species. Seeds of raspberry are an especially rich natural source of
gamma-tocopherol." Who would have thought raspberry seeds contained
something that was good for you.
-Mark Lee, Seattle