nafex - [NAFEX] old apple

  • From: mark wessel <growyourown@earthlink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] old apple
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:36:59 -0400

Greetings,
Last week while attending a botanical meeting in Maine one of the
attendees saw my NAFEX t shirt and ask me what it was all about. She then
went on to tell me about this apple growing at her place. The tree is very,
very old and on its last leg. Some pomological type of fellow keyed the
apple out for her. The information below is what she was given. Can anyone
out there shed some light on this variety. I couldnt tell her a thing.
Also, I know there are several Nafexers up in Maine. She is wanting to
propagate this tree since it may not be long for this world. Is there any
one up there that might be willing to graft this for her. If so I will send
the info on to her.

Thanks Mark S OH

The apple tree info for the trees here at our place on Mt. Desert is:
American Pom. society Ct. # 36, 1883 - Leroy
Angers, France
Ansault
Pewaukee, 1870
Duchess of Oldenburg, Russian
Oldenburg x Northern Spy
George Peffer, Pewaukee, Wis.

That is all I have and most of these notations mean very little to me.
Thank you for any advice or help.
susan