nafex - [NAFEX] Your suggestions sought on LESSER KNOWN FRUITS.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Your suggestions sought on LESSER KNOWN FRUITS.
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:54:09 +0530

Dear list members,

I plan to bring out a book on LESSER KNOWN FRUITS.  It will contain articles on the fruits containing basic information of the plant, its status and also any special feature necessitating its promotion.  The information will be presented in a simple form so that the book is equally useful to those having no formal training in horticulture or agriculture.  The objective of the book is to inform people of other regions about the existence of such fruits which are not known outside the area of their occurrence.  This will enable the trial of these fruits in other regions too and will spread these plants to other parts of the world too.

I request you to kindly help me in drawing a list of the fruits that might be included in the book.  The broad criteria for selection of plant species can be as below:

1. The fruit should be edible.
2. It may be just growing wild or grown as a home yard.
4. If cultivated,should not be of much commercial importance.
5. It should not me known much outside the area of its existence.
6. Some fruits are not of very good quality for direct commercial cultivation, but my have some good or unique genetic trait which can be used for the improvement of their cultivated relatives.  For example, there is wild growing peach here which ripens three months later than the commercial varieties like July Elberta. Such fruits may also be included in the list.
7. Some fruits may not be so important from fresh consumption point of view but may be used a raw material.  LASSORA (Cordia obliqua ) has a very high pectin content.  May be the industry finds it a good raw material for pectin production.  Similarly, fruits of AMLA ( Emblica officinalis ) are not eaten fresh and used for processing and in medicine in very large quantities.  Such fruits may also be listed.

So please suggest me the names of fruits that should be included in the book.  Please write NAME, BOTANICAL NAME, AND AREA OF OCCURRENCE of each fruit.

I have done quite a lot of technical as well as popular scientific writing and hope that I shall be able to handle this project.

IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTION ABOUT THE BOOK, PLEASE DO WRITE ME.

I shall keep you informed about the progress.

Seeking cooperation of all of you,.

Very truly yours,

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Fruits
www.lesserknownindianplants.com

  • [NAFEX] Your suggestions sought on LESSER KNOWN FRUITS., Dr. Chiranjit Parmar, 07/12/2003