nafex - Fwd: [NAFEX] dwarfing mulberries

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fwd: [NAFEX] dwarfing mulberries
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:57:29 -0400

I have the Dwarf mulberries growing. I have not as yet worked with them. I have had exceptionally good luck on starting trees from cuttings. I use a 5 gallon bucket that I have drilled holes in the bottom. I filled it with Vermiculite. I treat cuttings even dormant stock I have had in the fridge. I tag them and shove them as far as I can into the vermiculite. I place three short bamboo sticks in and pull a clear plastic bag that fits the bucket and couple feet high. I leave it so I can prop open an area for fresh air when it gets to hot in the small greenhouse. At present there are persimmon, apple, and a multitude of other singles sprouting.. Just finished transplanting 15 figs of 5 varieties. All I was hoping for was one of each to take. I will next stick some Dwarf mulberries from green stock.
A little more info. My Mulberries are just starting to ripen. My Chestnuts are just now in blossom, Pawpaws were late but are loaded and doing very good. To my surprise I have a Hardy Kiwi (Believe to be Geneva II or Anasnaja) that was really loaded with blossoms. It is the only tree there that is big enough to have fruit. Nothing close enough to pollinate. I do not know the kiwi blossoms but they look like they are complete blossoms. Also that large bush looks like every blossom has taken. It also did the same 2 years ago. Last year late freeze took the blossoms.
I do not seem to have the problems with getting mulberries to take. dormant scion or greenwood grafting.
I sure could use the rain many of you are or have gotten. It all seems to fall apart or split and go both sides of me. Last four months probably a total of 4 inches

Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.