nafex - Re: [NAFEX] verticillium wilt in trees

  • From: "Mike Levine" <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] verticillium wilt in trees
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 16:12:35 -0400

It's no joke, not far from here, Ford Motor Company put a living roof on
their factory. Originally the idea was to use native plants, but natives
have roots that are too deep for what they had planned (I think it was an
issue of having too much topsoil/weight) so they bought and planted acres
and acres of sedum on the roof. I've heard it's working well for them.

I helped put a sod roof on a cob structure in Tennessee a few years back.
The idea was to grow a sod cover crop to build soil and then later have a
rooftop veggie garden. From what I understand, the rodents really liked the
sod and chewed though the EPDM (pond liner) under the sod. Probably would
work better with a different roofing material. I think it's a viable idea
if one can get creative with it and afford a few mistakes along the way.
I'm sure it would cool a house well. If you look at
http://www.svionline.org/submain/programs/landarch.html the second to last
picture on that page shows a picture of the dwelling (the picture doesn't
really show off the roof though).

Mike