nafex - Re: [NAFEX] figs,mulberry and jujube oh my!

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] figs,mulberry and jujube oh my!
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:32:42 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] figs,mulberry and jujube oh my!
I was fortunate enough to see a presentation on jujubes by a Chinese expert, one time.  She said that most of the varieties in America are southern types (like Li and Lang) and are used only for candying (cooking in sugar syrup) and drying in China.  There are actually a number of types that are adapted to more northerly conditions (cooler weather) that mostly had not reached the U.S. , at least at that time.  One of the favorite fresh eating types there is one that is also more adapted to cooler climates - Honey Jar.  I had one for a time (lost it to carelessness) and can verify that it's quite productive of small fruits that are much sweeter than most other varieties sold in the trade here.
-Lon Rombough

Jujubes are displaying quite a diverse range of traits for you (size, vigor,
fruit production, flavor versus ripeness).  I live in an area that is in the
same minimum temperature range as you (USDA zone 7B/8A), but our summers are
cooler and more overcast.  I have looked into growing jujubes in the past,
but decided against it since we just don't have the heat.  I'm now thinking
it would be fun to grow some of these just for whatever blossoms manage to
open in the late summer when things heat up.  The fragrance and insect life
sound interesting.  Any suggestions on a jujube that might actually ripen in
a cooler climate?