nafex - [NAFEX] Plum discussion

  • From: "Kieran and Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Plum discussion
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:07:46 -0500

I grafted a bunch of plums to a peach that blooms too early. Two years
later, a lot of them bloomed, and a frost killed off all the blossoms except
for AU Amber, but I wasn\t gonna drag out the sprayer for one branch of
plums, so the curculio have gotten them all. Also, the peach tree is
experiencing a lot of dieback, first in some of the plums, now in other
branches. I suppose it could have borers, but I wonder if a virus in just
one of the grafts could have messed up the whole tree. No great loss, but I
had hoped to have a lot of plums off it as it was no good for anything else.
I'd like to try AU Amber here as it did so much better than anything else.
I have two native plums that had some flowers survive too, all sweet
cherries and and peaches wiped out by the freeze. Not even a very late or
cold freeze, just happened when then flowers were most vunerable. A couple
of weeks later and they probably would have stood it fine. Donna

  • [NAFEX] Plum discussion, Kieran and Donna, 06/20/2003