nafex - [NAFEX] buttercup

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] buttercup
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:18:07 -0500

At 11:59 PM 6/17/2003 -0400, Ginda wrote:
I have some buttercup, too, growing in the forsythia hedge. Is it so noxious a weed that you would try to eradicate it? It has stayed in the same place for several years, and doesn't seem to be doing anything else any harm.

Ginda,
In my lawn(I suppose it's there) or in flower beds(I don't have any), I don't know that I'd get too worked up about meadow buttercup, but in the pastures, it is a nuisance, and seems to exert an allelopathic effect(I may be imagining this), or maybe it just crowds out more desirable grasses/legumes. I've not DONE anything to diminish it, but will be doing a total kill on the upper 1/2 of the farm this fall and re-seeding, so I've been holding off on spraying any chemicals - other than spot treatment for thistles.

Lucky