nafex - [NAFEX] Re:yellow clover

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re:yellow clover
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:59:51 -0400

It sure looks like a legume. In fact, it looks a lot like web photos of both of the plants you mention. I pulled up a sample to see if I could ID it, but between fuzzy internet pictures and lawn-mower damage, I can't distinguish it from either of the Trifoliua you mention. Not sure what Chris means by a "fold" as I would describe this, along with red and white clover, as having a "fold" in each leaflet.

I have some buttercup, too, growing in the forsythia hedge. Is it so noxious a weed that you would try to eradicate it? It has stayed in the same place for several years, and doesn't seem to be doing anything else any harm. (There are several weeds that I pull up or try to keep in check, but the only one I really try to eradicate is poison ivy. Not that I succeed, as the birds spread it, but I do kill it whenever I see it, unlike my laissez-fair attitude about most weeds.)

Ginda

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 05:15 PM, Lucky Pittman wrote:

At 02:16 PM 6/17/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>The plant that's taken over my back yard is some other low->growing
>legume, but it isn't white clover. I think it's sometimes >called
>yellow clover, although it's not a true clover.
If it's a legume, I'd bet on one of the hop clovers(large or small) - Trifolium campestre or T.dubium, both of which have small yellow-flowered heads.
However, if you think it's not a clover, maybe it's meadow buttercup or some other Ranunculus species, which, as far as I'm concerned, is a noxious weed.

Lucky