nafex - [NAFEX] Seabuckthorn Uses

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Seabuckthorn Uses
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:37:16 -0600

Hello All,

Can some NAFEXER tell me what is the exact use of seabuckthorn?

Seabuckthorn is widely planted and domesticated in Russia, East Germany, China, Finland and we also have it here in Canada. It was used as a source of Vitamin C instead of Oranges, and also there is much interest in the pharmacutical and hand cream industries. I have tried the juice and although it does remind you of orange juice in appearance and texture, the flavor is definately it's own. I did go for a second glass, so it wasn't too bad.

The main problem for growing as a crop is that currently it is being harvested by hand, which is time consuming and expensive, and can be painful(most have thorns). People are working on mechanical harvesters and may have them in place, but I haven't kept up to date on the technology.

The plants are VERY hardy, beyond -40F, saline tolerant, and the fruits can be harvested in the middle of winter as they hang on the tree for that long. I've seen berries that are close to the size of a US dime, and the trees are very, very productive. I believe that there are male and female plants. The cultivars from Asia are vastly superior than what was introduced in Canada in the 80's for use in shelterbelts. I believe poor quality species was named sinensis, if I'm not mistaken.

Dean Kreutzer
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA 3