nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Seabuckthorn Uses

  • From: miekal and <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Seabuckthorn Uses
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:45:33 -0500

This is why I want to get a bunch more seedlings going, as I only have about 8-10 in my planting & want to make sure I have some males among them. I know Green World sells some of the varieties selected for fruit, but I seem to remember them being in the $30/per plant range. (Have yet in my life to spend that much for a plant, even a grafted one.) Im much more interested in growing out from seed myself.

As for being invasive, I've seen this discussion crop up on a number of lists over the years. It grows as a thicket & its reported to spread a lot more readily on very sandy soils. Permaculture folks plant it also for erosion control on stream banks. Here in WI Im in the land of heavy clay soils, 5 year old plants are maybe 4 feet high & showing no signs of suckering. It is after all in the buckthorn family, so it's inherited a bit of the reputation of buckthorns to get out of control.

mIEKAL