nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Seabuckthorn.

  • From: markl <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Seabuckthorn.
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:35:53 -0400 (EST)

I think I remember reading this somewhere. Can anyone confirm these facts...
When Germany was divided into East and West, oranges were expensive in East
Germany, so the East German government funded development of seabuckthorn for
juicing as an alternative to oranges. There are a number of varieties that
resulted from this program.
-Mark Lee, Seattle zone 7B/8A

---- North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> Currently, there is a controversy going about the usefulness of
> seabuckthorn here in my State of Himachal Pradesh. A variant of this fruit
> grows wild here in our cold desert region. A group of horticulturists is
> of the view that this fruit should be domesticated and promoted as a new
> fruit crop.
>
> I was in Sweden in 1988-89 where a projoject was going on for its
> domestication. This project was sponsored and funded by a group of fruit
> processing industries who were interested in using the juice of this fruit
> as coulring agaent for fruit products instead of the synthetic colours. I
> did not see this fruit as eaten fresh though it is not inedible.
>
> Can some NAFEXER tell me what is the exact use of seabuckthorn?
>
> Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
> Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Fruits
> www.lesserknownindianplants.com

> Anyone in Nafex land have some Seabuckthorn seeds (Hippophae rhamnoides)
> that they can sell to me? Im looking for seeds saved from plants that have
> fruited in a northern climate. I dont need a whole lot, would be happy with
> 50 seeds.
>
> mIEKAL

> files, plain text ONLY!
> Message archives are here:
> To view your user options go to:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where XXXX@XXXX
> is
> YOUR email address)
> NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/

  • [NAFEX] Seabuckthorn., Dr. Chiranjit Parmar, 06/11/2003
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [NAFEX] Seabuckthorn., markl, 06/11/2003