nafex - [NAFEX] Seabuckthorn.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: "miekal and" <dtv@mwt.net>
  • Cc: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Seabuckthorn.
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:10:14 +0530

Dear Sirs,

Currently, there is a controversy going about the usefulness of seabuckthorn here in my State of Himachal Pradesh.  A variant of this fruit grows wild here in our cold desert region.  A group of horticulturists is of the view that this fruit should be domesticated and promoted as a new fruit crop.

I was in Sweden in 1988-89 where a projoject was going on for its domestication.  This project was sponsored and funded by a group of fruit processing industries who were interested in using the juice of this fruit as coulring agaent for fruit products instead of the synthetic colours.  I did not see this fruit as eaten fresh though it is not inedible.

Can some NAFEXER tell me what is the exact use of seabuckthorn?

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Fruits
www.lesserknownindianplants.com

Anyone in Nafex land have some Seabuckthorn seeds (Hippophae rhamnoides) that they can sell to me? Im looking for seeds saved from plants that have fruited in a northern climate. I dont need a whole lot, would be happy with 50 seeds.

mIEKAL