nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Strange bloom times

  • From: HDessureault <inter.verbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Strange bloom times
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:21:15 -0500

It is interesting that you should bring up this question, Tom, as I was
pondering the same question myself today.
I had five apple trees dying back this year, which is due not only to the
severe cold in january like you mentioned but to extreme temperature swings.
Most of all though, the Fall was warm and somehow the trees did not get a
chance to lignify properly. It was the first time that I have witnessed this
phenomena. Some of my apple trees did not shed their leaves and kept some
brown leaves still attached into the Spring. It was the same for the wild
trees in the forests in the region; oak leaves covering the X-country trail
all through the winter...
Two trees are completely gone and a couple came to life but could not make
it. Like you, I also have cases of very slow growth on limbs that seemed
quite dead last week.

I would be very interested to hear what this group has to say on the best
way to prune a fruit tree that is half winter killed. Do you cut back the
branches that show very slow growth. Is it permanent damage or will they
pick up? What do you do in the case of a tree with a 2 inches trunk, quite
dead, except growing two new strong sprouts a foot and a half above ground?
Thanking you in advance,

Hélène, where apples are finishing blooming...