nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Strawberries/Maxim

  • From: "road's end farm" <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Strawberries/Maxim
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 22:29:49 -0400

They (Maxim) were large (though not peach size!) and tasty both, a rare combination.

In my experience some varieties have erratic flavor, good some seasons and awful others; so I want another couple year's trial before I feel I can count on them. I have 100 row feet of them that should be ripening soon; will let you know. They survived a pretty bad drought last year after our irrigation pond ran dry, and this may have affected both fruit size and flavor for this coming season; it certainly affected how well the row (didn't) fill out.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly