nafex - [NAFEX] Surround Mixing Tips

  • From: John.Mosko@engelhard.com
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Surround Mixing Tips
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:36:59 -0400

Hi Ted,

Below is an excerpt from the Surround label. Following this, I have never
had a clog in a hand-held sprayer in my five years as a hobby orchardist.
This section is a key tip ----Add SURROUND WP powder into ¼ to ½ of the
water that will be used in the batch to allow adequate space for vigorous
shaking. Allow Surround to wet and sink into the water slowly. It is not
recommended to fill with a hose or shake the container while powder is
floating on top of the water.----

Let the powder wet-out gradually into the water. You can rock the sprayer
a bit but don't let water splash on top of the floating powder. That will
make lumps.

For backpacks, it may be best to do the procedure in a bucket using a hand
drill paint mixer. Pour into the sprayer - through a screen if possible.

Good luck.

John

For Non-agitating Sprayer Tanks, Such as Handheld and Backpack Sprayers

The following mixing sequence must be followed:

1. Use SURROUND WP powder at a rate of ¼ to ½ lb of SURROUND WP powder
per one gallon of water. One-half pound is approximately 3 cups. For
sprayers difficult to shake, premix in a 5 gallon bucket per the directions
below and pour suspension into sprayer.

2. Add SURROUND WP powder into ¼ to ½ of the water that will be used in
the batch to allow adequate space for vigorous shaking. Allow Surround to
wet and sink into the water slowly. It is not recommended to fill with a
hose or shake the container while powder is floating on top of the water.

3. Mix thoroughly by shaking the closed container vigorously for 30
seconds.

4. Add tank mix pesticides, if any.

5. Add the remainder of the batch water and shake the closed container
for an additional 30 seconds.

6. Shake the sprayer occasionally during application.

7. At the end of the application, spray until empty and flush system and
nozzles or, blow air pressure out of the line and nozzle (usually by
upending) and store in a cool place. Apply the leftover mix within two
to three weeks to avoid spoilage. Rinse the sprayer and allow to air-dry
before the next batch.

"ted siegan"

<tedsiegan@hotmail.c To:
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
om> cc:

Sent by: Subject: [NAFEX] surround
application
nafex-bounces@lists.

ibiblio.org

05/31/2003 10:36 AM

Please respond to

North American Fruit

Explorers

Has anyone else had difficulty applying Surround ( the organic, clay powder
used on fruit trees)? Both sprayers I have tryed have clogged very quickly.
I have used 1/2 lb per gallon as per Plants Alive and each pressurized
sprayer has clogged. Is there a trick that I don't know? Shoud I just dump
some Surround in my manual duster and say the heck with water? After all
lately it rains every day anyway.

ted siegan, zone 6

Arlington, Ma