nafex - [NAFEX] pears with thorns?

  • From: JRobbFarm@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pears with thorns?
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:46:11 EDT

Hi, I am new to the list and to NAFEX, have a minifarm in Kentucky and am
establishing a small mixed orchard.
About 7 yrs ago, I grew a seedling pear from a tree in Ohio that had great
pears
(yeah, I know...now.). The tree has done well, vigorous, hardy, leaves more
oval and serrated than cultivated pears, and has 1 1/2 inch needle sharp
thorns . It has never flowered so it may be a sterile hybrid of who knows
what.
Does anyone know if wild pears or some existing cultivars have thorns?
Living
in Kentucky, I consider nasty thorns a real plus for a fruit tree. Deer
pressure is unbelievable here. I grafted the tree last year with bartlett
and again
with potomac and moonglow this year.
Grafts have done terrific, and actually have bartlett pears this year.
thanks,
Jeff
zone 6