nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Making our own pectin (and sugar)

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art@complum.com>
  • To: HDessureault <inter.verbis@videotron.ca>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Making our own pectin (and sugar)
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:12:09 -0500

Thanks, everybody, for the pectin info. The recipe from Hélène was especially
helpful. Nice to know that people really use this stuff.

Our intent is to make jams and jelllies with all components being produced on
our farm. The pectin looks easy,. Making our own grape sugar may be more of a
challenge. We'll be looking for a flavor-neutral grape for that.

Historically, there was a thriving grape sugar company in Iowa City, Iowa
from
pioneer days until about 1880 (maybe earlier demise). The grape industry in
Iowa collapsed after World War II when chemical farming started coming into
vogue. Grapes are so sensitive to herbicides!
Maybe I'm just too stubborn for my own good, but that's our goal...

Here are three good references on pectin. The first is a good, detailed
pectin
recipe. The second has two jelly recipes using the resulting pectin, and the
third is from CP Kelco, a company that makes thickening and gelling agents.
More information than you ever knew existed!!! Check out their slide show on
pectin chemistry. It'll make your brain hurt!

Oh, the proportions for using apple pectin look to be about one part pectin
one part juice or less.

http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com/The_Forager/pectin.htm
http://www.christianhomekeeper.com/pectin.html
http://www.cpkelco.com/pectin/index.html