nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Making our own pectin (and sugar)

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Making our own pectin (and sugar)
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 00:06:41 -0500

The site Art linked says that:

                      Sugar and similar solutes generally tend to dehydrate the pectin
                      molecules in solution. At higher solids there is less water available to act
                      as a solvent for the pectin and the tendency to crystallize or gel is
                      consequently favored.

Is it therefore true that the reason sugar is necessary for average pectins to gel the jelly is because of the dehydrating effect of the sugar?  Disliking sugar, and many other consumers wishing for dietary reasons to avoid it, would it be possible to add any semi-dried fruit such as figs or prunes, and achieve the same dehydrating effect to achieve happy gelling in the mix?

Perhaps Art you can use some raisins and achieve gelling with no grape sugar.  I would think raisins would be easier to make than it would be to extract grape sugar.  Even the big manufacturing companies have lots of problems trying to get fructose to get to granular, because its hydroscopic [attracts water from the air].  Besides, it'd make a better jelly, as far as those like myself who like tarter foods.
Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / grapes we get here are Foch, Cayuga, Concord etc.....wish the vineyards were closer though.

Art Petrzelka wrote:

Thanks, everybody, for the pectin info. The recipe from Hélène was especially
helpful. Nice to know that people really use this stuff.

Our intent is to make jams and jelllies with all components being produced on
our farm. The pectin looks easy,. Making our own grape sugar may be more of a
challenge. We'll be looking for a flavor-neutral grape for that.

Historically, there was a thriving grape sugar company in Iowa City, Iowa from
pioneer days until about 1880 (maybe earlier demise). The grape industry in
Iowa collapsed after World War II when chemical farming started coming into
vogue. Grapes are so sensitive to herbicides!
Maybe I'm just too stubborn for my own good, but that's our goal...

Here are three good references on pectin. The first is a good, detailed pectin
recipe. The second has two jelly recipes using the resulting pectin, and the
third is from CP Kelco, a company that makes thickening and gelling agents.
More information than you ever knew existed!!!  Check out their slide show on
pectin chemistry. It'll make your brain hurt!

Oh, the proportions for using apple pectin look to be about one part pectin to
one part juice or less.

http://www.cpkelco.com/pectin/index.html